The World Cafe Community

Hosting Conversations about Questions that Matter

There are people gathering here in the World Cafe community from literally all over the world, and it is so exciting!!! I really want to meet everyone, and I know I'm not alone. Would you please tell us a little about yourself here, just as an introduction, so we can start to learn about each other? Where do you live? How did you learn about the World Cafe? What are your interests and passions?

NOTE: The convention on this part of the site is that the responses are in chronological order, so you have to click forward to the last page (at the bottom of this page) to see the latest introductions.

Tags: community, introductions, stories

Views: 3193

Reply to This

Replies to This Conversation

Hi everyone, 

I am from Trinidad and currently living in Nottingham, UK pursuing an MSc. in Management Psychology. One of my professors introduced me to the World Cafe website through a workshop we had. I love the entire concept of the cafe because I truly believe that amazing things can happen through effective communication and collaboration.  For my thesis, I want to investigate the knowledge creation and transfer in organisations so I'm interested in learning more about the World Cafe Model.

I really like having new experiences, would like to do a whole lot more travelling and baking is one of my hobbies (haven't done much in a while though). I am passionate about people discovering and functioning in their strengths and also having an enjoyable and balanced life. 

Hi Lavonne,

Welcome to the World Cafe community!  You can find more people from England (or the Caribbean) here in the on-line community by using the "advanced search" function.....and also join various of the groups that you are interested in.

I'd love to hear more about any experiments you do with the World Cafe as you learn more about it's use.  Look in the Resources section of the website for things that can support your learning and hosting.

Warm regards,

Juanita

Hi Everyone!

I'm originally from Rio de Janeiro, but I live in Sydney, Australia - two very beautiful cities! I started my PhD last semester so I'm extremely busy right now.

Look forward to participating in this wonderful community.

Kind Regards,

Ana

Querida,

Wonderful to have you with us!  How did you learn about the World Cafe.  We were in Brazil for a month collaborating with World Cafe stewards there....great visit.  

Con carinho,

Juanita

Hi Juanita!

I've just seen your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Brazil - no doubts it is a very interesting country! I came across the World Cafe by chance while researching about 'networked learning'. This is a friendly network and I wish I had more time to interact... I'm studying full time and working part time. Additionally, I'm (again) struggling with my English after spending many years back in Brazil. Anyway, obrigada (thank you) for welcoming me and I look forward to keeping in touch.

Beijos,

Ana

Hello everyone...glad to be a new member of this community!

I live in Eastern Kansas in the home of the Jayhawks, along with my husband and three young sons who are 10, 7 and 4 years old.  I am a social worker by training and have spent the last 12 years working in various ways in the area of health policy and advocacy.  I was the ED of a statewide oral health coalition for 5 years where we advocated for access to oral health care, especially for vulnerable populations.  While I was there, I had the privilege to be part of starting the Dental Champions Leadership Program, which was an effort to create a statewide network of trained oral health champions.  From there I went to a health conversion foundation to start a public policy program, and then decided to strike out on my own. 

I started an independent leadership strategy development and coaching firm in 2010 called Arnavon Strategies, LLC.  The decision driven by a need to use my skills in a little bit different way.  This move has allowed me to utilize all my experiences and what I believe to be my strengths to partner with individuals, communities and organizations to build their capacity to make progress on issues that matter. 

I coach individuals and teams; facilitate processes, especially those that bring together all kinds of stakeholders to work in collaborative efforts; and offer leadership training that challenges people to think more adaptively.  I have been fortunate to work closely with the Kansas Leadership Center as a member of their Civic Leadership Coach Team, and I am also a part-time instructor with the University of Kansas Public Management Center.

I am very excited about learning more about World Cafe and the ways it might positively impact the work that I do with communities and organizations.  Conversations, connecting, building networks and synergies really is an exciting place to start in the difficult work of making our communities, our states, our nation and our world a healthier place for all.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Teresa

A Canadian living in the beautiful community of Caledon Ontario. Many years experience as an executive and governor in the not-for-profit and public sectors. I now consult, focusing on system leadership, strategy and governance (http://www.governtolead.ca). I also teach, advise and volunteer in a number of community settings. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I might be of assistance to you.

Hi Carlos,

Great to have you with us.  You may want to look through the groups to see which might interest you. Browse through the storynet section also to learn more about what's happening and how people are using the world cafe.  You might also find our book, The World Cafe: Shaping our Futures Through Conversations that Matter, useful as well.

With warm regards,

Juanita 

Hi Everyone!

I'm a Change Consultant based in rural England.  I've experienced World Cafe in a number of small conferences / unconferences and have started to use it in my work with clients.

Looking forward to sharing our World Cafe experiences!

David

(@ChangeContinuum)

This is Michael.  I live in Kensington, Maryland,  a suburb of Washington DC, and I've lived in this area for the last 12 years.  I moved here from South Africa, where I lived for many years, and did my studies and first decade of work experience.

I have been a facilitator and consultant with groups for over 20 years, and was introduced to the World Cafe about 10 years ago.  I have used the method in some form a number of times, and I am now taking the time to become more deliberate in my practice of World Cafes.

I look forward to sharing and learning with others in this space!

Before the world cafe, things that used to happen over a cup of coffee were silly.

Hi. I'm Macdara MacColl. I'm a newly-minted marriage and family therapist (having graduated last night). I work at a youth and family services agency in Connecticut, United States, and in addition to my therapeutic work, I am charged with creating our programming. I am hoping to use World Cafe events to encourage the community to come together and discuss issues of importance to them, such as bullying in our schools and substance abuse among children. A neighboring town hosted a World Cafe event, and that is how I heard about the organization.

Prior to going back to school for my MFT degree, I worked in publishing, both traditional and online. I spent four wonderful years at an Internet start-up called iVillage, where I had the privelege of building their online communities. The experience was exhilarating because we were able to create spaces where people were experiencing life-changing connections and conversations online. Although this may seem passe and obvious now, in 1991 it felt revolutionary and exciting. It's lovely to be back in an online community (despite my early online community-building creds, I feel little draw to Twitter or Facebook).

I hope to learn more about creating these events. I would like to create parent/child World Cafe events, so would be interested in hearing from others who have tried that. I was glad to read the introduction of a teacher using World Cafe with 8th graders. Our agency has therapists in all the schools in our town, and I would like to try this style of communication/collaboration with children as well.

That's all for now...

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Contribute!

If you appreciate the World Café and what this community space makes possible, please make your contribution - large or small - to the World Café Community Foundation now.

© 2014   Created by Amy Lenzo.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service